The qualification is designed for students who achieve at least a good pass at GCSE Maths but who choose not to continue A Level Mathematics. It is equivalent in size to an AS Level qualification and carries the same UCAS points as an AS Level qualification.
The course enables students to
• Study a mathematics curriculum that is integrated with other areas of their study, leading to the application of mathematics in these areas
• Develop mathematical modelling, evaluating and reasoning skills
• Solve problems which may not be well defined and may not have a unique solution
• Solve substantial, real life problems
• Use ICT as an exploratory tool and when solving problems
• Develop skills in the communication, selection, use and interpretation of their mathematics
• Enjoy mathematics and develop confidence in using mathematics
Course Content in brief:
- Analysing data
- Personal finance
Grade 5 in Maths
Students will receive regular mini assessments to track progress throughout the course.
Final assessment is by two calculator written papers both for one and a half hours, worth 60 marks each.
Core Maths will link with any subject that has a mathematical content. All sciences including the Social Sciences, Geography, Computer Science, Business, Economics to name a few.
As a follow up the link to careers in these areas is obvious. There is a large proportion of finance, data analysis and use of spreadsheets on the course so well suited to future careers where data analysis would be required.
Core Maths – Level 3 Mathematical Studies Subject Leader: Mr G Evans
Course Specification: 1350
Qualification: Level 3